With 18 years under my belt, I'm a guy whose experiences boast tales of failure, anger, and regret. Yet, by a stroke of unconditional grace, I have been redeemed and made an heir to a Kingdom that has never fallen and never will.

ENTJ | 3 Wing 4 | Pursuing a Bachelors in Biblical Studies

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Maybe the fridge isn't empty...

"How strange is it to be anything at all." 

I've always fancied the idea of getting a tattoo. Lately, I've been toying with different designs and just playing around with ideas. I came across this tattoo and the first thing that stuck out to me was the design of it. I thought it looked great and started playing around with the same style but with a quote or verse of my own.

As I began looking at it more and more, doing my best to mimic it-- and failing-- the quote began hitting me harder and harder.

Ari, a name, I like it. It's fairly uncommon, unique in its own ways, easy to write. But I didn't pick it.

My parents, Mom and Dad, I like them. They're loving, encouraging, and great people. But I didn't choose to be their son.

The United States, a country, I like it. It's well-off, prosperous, and known for its freedom. But I didn't ask to live here.

The list goes on.

How strange it is to be anything at all, especially an "anything" that can buy things with a little plastic card, go and get water whenever I want, and even pray to God openly. How strange indeed.

How strange it is to have shoes that are in one piece.

How strange it is to sleep on a clean mattress.

How strange it is that "there is nothing to eat in the fridge".

How strange it is to own a fridge.

How strange it is to dread getting an education.

I didn't choose to be the "anything" I am, but I can choose to do what I will with the everything I am. I choose thankfulness and I choose love.

Thankfulness-- I have clothes to wear and food to eat, what more could I possibly need?

Love-- "I've decided to stick with love for hate is too great a burden to bear."

How strange it is to be anything at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment