With 18 years under my belt, I'm a guy whose experiences boast tales of failure, anger, and regret. Yet, by a stroke of unconditional grace, I have been redeemed and made an heir to a Kingdom that has never fallen and never will.

ENTJ | 3 Wing 4 | Pursuing a Bachelors in Biblical Studies

Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Late-night Sage

"Jesus wept." -John 11:35
  I find my mind wandering, and wondering, late at night, even more so in the day. From baseball comes shoes, which springs forth weather, and from there comes deodorant. My mind is in an ocean that is sinking in itself. I can't find the words to shout for help, so I just tread water.

Sometimes, my thoughts will all whirlpool back into the same thought or idea. As of lately, it is the verse posted above. John 11:35 is the shortest verse in the Bible but for some reason unbeknownst to me it is having a huge effect on my thoughts.

History shows that Jesus walked the earth-- not only that, he was kind of famous, like a past-day Brad Pitt. Thousands of people literally gave up everything they had, their jobs, their houses, even their families, just to follow this dude around. When it's put that way, it seems a little outlandish. But is it really? For example, lets take Brad Pitt. Even if you've never met him, you know who he is, what he does, and why he is famous. I've never physically met Jesus, but I know who he is, what he does, and why he is famous. Not trying to say that Brad Pitt is Jesus, just using him as an example of course.

Now picture this... Brad Pitt has a friend who passes away, a very close friend. What is the normal thing for Brad Pitt to do? Mourn the loss of his friend and everything that has in store.

This is where my mind begins to wander and wonder. If Jesus was just a past-day Brad Pitt, what was the big deal for him to mourn the death of his close friend Lazarus? Why were the people so amazed, astounded, and shocked?

I guess the conclusion I've come to in the hours I've spent thinking of this is that Jesus wasn't anything close to a past-day Brad Pitt-- he was so much more. I mean, his birth split history into BC and AD, the story of his life is the best selling book since the printing press was invented, and he has the largest amount of people who would call themselves "followers". Sorry Brad Pitt.

I don't truly know if this could be considered a thought, regardless of how long I've been thinking about it. I overwhelm myself sometimes. Well, back to baseball. I wonder if the Cubs will win the World Series this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment